Mark – Comfort and repentance
Ex 12 – law of passover and deliverance from Egypt.
Ex13 – awaiting to cross the sea.
17. And it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God led them not through the way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near; for God said,Lest peradventure the people repent when they see war, and they return to Egypt:
18. But God led the people about, through the way of the wilderness of the Red sea:and the children of Israel went up harnessed out of the land of Egypt.
19. And Moses took the bones of Joseph with him: for he had straitly sworn the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you; and ye shall carry up my bones away hence with you.
Different to the normal idea we have of repenting
In NT it is usually changing your mind.
In the OT, the emphasis is on the outcome rather than the change
Men multiply and the earth becomes corrupt.
6. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
7. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
8. But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
God is repenting. Nothing to do with sin or righteousness.
What does this mean.
28. And Lamech lived an hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son:
29. And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed.
Noah has a sense of resting.
Here resting is linked with comfort
Comfort is the same word as repent in chapter 6. God is seeking comfort in chapter 6. To destroy the earth except Noah. He was just and perfect.
Focus on comfort being the end result, the outcome.
Gods word will endure, crying in the wilderness and what will happen at the end.
52 v 9
9. Break forth into joy, sing together, ye waste places of Jerusalem: for the LORD hath comforted his people, he hath redeemed Jerusalem.
10. The LORD hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.
Ps 119 – Comfort linked with hope. While there is affliction, the comfort is hoped for!
In the time of affliction, the comfort comes from remembering the word.
Rom 15 v 1 -6 Engenders hope, time for patience. What was written aforetime is therefore us to remember.
Thought about rest, looking in Ex23, then into Josh 23, the Ps 95. With regard to entering into the rest.
Comfort from previous study
John 11 v1-46
1 Cor 14 v1-3
Phil 2 Have love, being of one mind etc enable us to comfort being of one accord
1 Thes 2 v 10-12 How they behave themselves while they were with him
10. Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe:
11. As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children,
5v14 – People should behave in this way says Paul, feebleminded are being comforted, weak or weakened need to be comforted
Feeble minded is from two Greek words “small/or weak/soul”
Soul used as a verb in OT
Ex 23 v 10-12 – refreshed v12 means soul, recovering from the 6 days – rest – refreshed (souled) – If someone has been working a long time they need to be comforted or refreshed
Ex 31 v 14-17 – Again, the law of the sabbath, yahweh was refreshed after his 6 days work
Connection with resurrection of the dead
2 Sam 16 v 1 – assess bring refreshments, then they threw stones etc then they ate in v 14 and were refreshed
We work to hope to enter into the kingdom i.e. be refreshed etc
John 11 – Martha states that Jesus could raise Lazarus and affirms to her that he will raise. Perhaps this is Christ comforting Martha because of focus on resurrection, 7th day of rest and that he can provide that.
v19 – “Jews” come to comfort, Mary leaves them to go to Christ
v28 – Martha calls Mary
v29 – Mary leaves them to go to Christ
The jews don’t understand when she is going
The Jews comfort was shallow
There are false comforts and false comforters
Important that we are comforted with true things
Ps 119 v 49 – 52 – Remember the word & be comforted by the word
Gods word from Christ’s mouth which raises Lazereth & comforts Martha.
1 Tim 1 v 3-5 – “Fables’ – ‘Myth’ – These conflict with true doctrine
4 v 6-7 ‘ Nourished up’ (building up)
What a father should do to a child or someone who is struggling as a child (little soul)
2 Tim 4 – missed reference
Titus 1 v14 – False comfort must be rejected not giving heed to Jewish fables
2 Peter 1 v 15-21 ‘not devised fables’
1 Cor 14 – Christ gave out gifts in the 1st C, to bring about comforting, we now have the word to bring that about which has been passed down through the ages.
And it was that to cause to begin the man to multiply upon face the ground and daughters were born to them
And they saw the sons of the elohim daughters the men that good they and they took to them women from all who they chose
And he said Yahweh, not strive to my spirit in man to Olam, in even he flesh they shall be his days 100 and 20 year
The giants they were in earth in days the them and even after so who they come sons the elohim to daughters the men and bare to them the what the mighty who from slam of men the name
And he saw Yahweh that multiply evil the man in earth and all forming thoughts his heart only evil all the day
And he was comforted Yahweh that he did make the man in earth and sorrowed to himself in heart
And he said Yahweh I will destroy the man who created from above upon face of the ground from man unto beast unto creeping and unto bird of the heavens from I was comforted that I made them
And Noah he found grace in eyes of Yahweh these made born of Noah man righteous perfects he was in generations the elohim he walked himself Noah.
And he caused bare Noah three sons, Shem, Ham and Japheth
And she was corrupted the earth before face the elohim and she was filled the earth violence
And he saw Elohim the earth and behold she was corrupted for corrupt made her all flesh his way upon the earth
And he said elohim to Noah end all flesh has come before my face for she was full the earth violence from their faces and behold me destroy they the earth
Make for you ark, trees gopher nests you will do the ark and you will pitch her house form out in pitch
v 15 – 16 – instructions for ark
Pattern of rest, God rested on the 7th day.
Transfer of comfort through the scripture. Noah provided this at the beginning, then the law provides source of comfort in Ps 119, then Christ comes and fulfils the law, but there is a time of waiting and patience while Christ is not with us.
What did he provide at the beginning? – the spirit gifts, 1 Cor 1-3. These were to enable the forming of the eccelsias, These are a source of comfort by being of one mind as we saw in Phil 2.
These are there to endure along with the word and the work done in Christ, until the Kingdom when Christ will ultimately provide that rest with eternal life.
John 11 v 24 – The resurrection, that Martha professes, but Christ raises him again.